Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Substrate Soil moisture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
venom666

PostSubject: Substrate Soil moisture   Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 am

I'm using the Plantation Soil Tropical substrate for my Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula since I've had for 2 wks. now & I've noticed there's still water moisture buildup on the inside walls of the glass. Last night I turned over the soil hoping it'll dry out quicker, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Is there any reason why I'm having this problem? The humidity level this morning was 52% & temp was 76 in the tank. Any suggestions I'd really appreciate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Petra
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Soil moisture   Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Sounds like oversaturated substrate, try to take a chunk of substrate and squeeze the excess water out.
Rosehair taranutlas should be kept more on the dry side with a waterdish, only exception are juvis and slings they need alot of moisture.
What works pretty good are mixtures of two different soils. Like Topsoil with crunched oak leaves (dry) or topsoil with ecoearth. Most of the ground dwelling tarantulas like to dig caves and topsoil has a good mixture of sand and earth, mixed up with a soil that stores water it is the perfect substrate.
Always check where your spider comes from, since there is a huge difference between tropical and dry habitats. Some of the south american spiders prefer a dry habitat like Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma boehmi, Grammostola rosea,...
Lasiodora parahybana, Theraposa blondi are more on the wet side.

Substrate Soil moisture
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1