Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is my Chilean Rose Really Molting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
venom666

PostSubject: Is my Chilean Rose Really Molting?   Wed May 12, 2010 9:56 am

My male Chilean Rose I noticed was under his cave since May 3 (Monday night) pushing out soil using his back legs & had created silk strands hanging from the cave entrance to the mound of soil & since then he's been burrowed under there. I did lift up his cave on 2 separate occasions to make sure he was still alive & all, & he was doing good it appeared & came crawling out for a while then went back under his cave while I wasn't there. I'm only guessing that he's getting ready to possibly molt?! I've read in one of my Tarantula books & online it should only take several hrs. or so for them to complete a successful molt. I've had Venom since Jan & he's never went into hiding like he's been doing now. The humidity's 61% right now & the temp's 80. About 2 hrs. ago, the humidity was 60% & the temp was 79. I did spray 6 quick water drops from the water sprayer last night in my T's tank in the far right hand corner to raise the humidity up a little more. Do you suspect that he's getting ready to molt or just feels like burrowing like Chilean Rose's normally do now & then? The last time he ate only 1 cricket was 2 wks. ago on 4/28/10 (Weds evening) & didn't accept the 2nd cricket I gave him. Any helpful advice or info u can give to me I'll greatly appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is my Chilean Rose Really Molting?   Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:35 pm

I had an adult female and she never tried to burrow and i have read that it is a little uncommon for the species to do so in captivity, but in the wild it is common. You should consider yourself lucky, I always wanted mine to do it but she never did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Is my Chilean Rose Really Molting?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1