Jax Tarantulas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tarantula mating experience?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
natebugman

Tarantula mating experience? Empty
PostSubject: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I just recently bought a mature male G. rosea from Petco and I tried to mate him with my female for the first time last night. I didn't have much luck, he just decided to climb out of the cage...didn't seem like either knew the other was even there.

Anyone here have any experience trying to mate their tarantulas? Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 am

How do you know the male is mature ?
Is he wandering around and makes druming noises ?
Is your female interested and ready ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JaxTarantulas.com
natebugman

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I know he's mature because he has his hooks and the enlarged ends of his pedipalps.

I have seen the remains of a sperm web in his cage and I have placed him in a smaller container inside the female's cage. I have seen him drumming. She normally moves very little but since I have put him in her cage I have noticed her moving around his cage or just sitting next to it.
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Sounds good !
The female had her molt already and is not hungry (males make good snakes *hehe*).
I would try it again with the male roaming around in her cage.
How long was he in there the first time ?
Back to top Go down
natebugman

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyWed May 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Well, I got them to mate once. It happened so fast I barely had time to get a few pictures. Its been several weeks since then, and so far I've tried a few more times. No more successful attempts. They either just sit there like they don't know the other is there or the male climbs out of the cage.

I don't know if that means the insemination was successful, the male is out of ammo, or if the female is about to molt. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The male hasn't made any more sperm webs that I've seen so who knows about that. It's been at least 2 years since she molted, so she could flop over at any time, or she could be making eggs at this very minute. I'll try to keep you updated.
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Hmm sounds like it worked.
Maybe the male is allready expiered ?
You should see some action soon, I hope she doesn't molt and becomes a mum Very Happy
Update would be great !
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 am

any news or updates on your lovers ?
Back to top Go down
natebugman

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 pm

Nothing new. She hasn't molted. She hasn't laid any eggs. She hasn't changed behavior much at all except that she's eating.
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:30 am

From what I know it can take up to two years to get a cocoon from G.rosea, they are not realy eager to lay an eggsack.
I would suggest a more easy going species, like T.blondi or L.parahybana, the only problem there is the size of the animals themselfes and the size of the cocoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula mating experience?   Tarantula mating experience? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tarantula mating experience?
Page 1 of 1