Jax Tarantulas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Petra
Admin
Petra

The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville Empty
PostSubject: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 6:16 pm

I had some trouble finding the right soil.

Solution:
If you want an easy way out, buy topsoil without any additives, goes around $1.24 at lowes.
If you need more sand or more earth, mix it with the topsoil.
For moisture loving spiders (example Lasiodora parahybana) add a part of coconutfiber or turf.

Be very careful with the so called organic soil, since in most cases it will contain manure.

If you use your own garden soil, check for insects like ants, little flies,..... also if you use fertilizer, pestizides, weedkiller dont use any gardensoil for your tarantula.

Zypressmulch is a big nono.
Mulch in general is in most cases a bad choice, since it contains chemicals and sharp wood pieces.

If you want to use mulch, use the the kind sold in petshops (normally you would use that for reptiles).
Back to top Go down
http://www.JaxTarantulas.com
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Avoid keeping your spider on 100% gravel or sand.
Never use glassdust !

Avoid sharp objects it could harm your spider.

Since we live in Florida and you are not an icebear, there's no need to heat the tarantulas enclosure.
Most tarantulas will rest during the winter, so you will experience fewer to no molts.
A drop in temperature during the winter is fine with your spider, as long as you keep your spiders inside.

Lighting is only requiered if you have live plants in your tank.
Back to top Go down
Mr. pokie
Mr. pokie

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 pm

I agree about not heating, but my pokies molt through out winter it could be do to that my apartment never gets lower then 65 and only on cold days Laughing
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Well my house is always over 70F in the winter, I am always cold Wink
But in the office upstairs it is a little bit cooler, not much, since it is also my "repti's hibernation room".

G.rosea actually needs a winter break to be in excellent condition.
Here in Florida it is easy, if you use a cooler room and stop feeding, most of the roseas will fall into hibernation.
Good thing: they will have a feeding frenzy in spring.

I am not very experienced with pokies.
The only one I had was a P.ornata, she was a total beauty !
So, I am not sure if pokies fall under the category "needs a winter rest".
Back to top Go down
natebugman

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I use coconut fiber for all my tarantulas. Its alot easier than trying to find potting soil or anything else that's clean and doesn't have fertilizer in it.

Oh, and if my G. rosea eats one cricket, I consider it a feeding frenzy.
Back to top Go down
smirkish
smirkish

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm

I currently just have a female Chilean Rose-Hair who just went through her first molt about a month ago. She's been living in a 10-gallon tank with about a 3in layer of peat moss since I got her. I change it monthly and she seems to do very well in it.
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 am

I never changend the soil of my spiders, if you establish a colony of this little white bugs that live of decaying stuff they will do the work, or just look for the little dirt ball and take it out the enclousure.
That worked prettu good for me.
Also I keep my G.rosea on the dry side and the L.parahybana on the wet one.
Back to top Go down
SpiderMonk
SpiderMonk

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptySat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm

I heard that there is a good kinda critter that you can put in with your T. it's supposed to eat decomposed stuff and anything in the cage that don't belong, what are these and where can I get me sum :-)
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyTue May 26, 2009 8:18 am

There are little white bugs, that you could put in, I will give you the latin name, so you can order them over the internet.
Back to top Go down
SpiderMonk
SpiderMonk

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:00 pm

and that name would be?
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Well, it took me a wile, but finally here it is:

Trichorhina tomentosa - Dwarf Tropical Woodlice

Totally save for every T and every tank, these little guys are amazing.
I never changed soil or anything, once in a while I cleaned the glass, or took out big waste balls from my spiders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville   The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville Empty

Back to top Go down

The right soil for your tarantula -> Jacksonville
Page 1 of 1