Jax Tarantulas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeder insects?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
natebugman

Feeder insects? Empty
PostSubject: Feeder insects?   Feeder insects? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 3:28 pm

I feed my tarantulas almost exclusively on crickets. I read about the importance of a varied diet, but I fear feeding something I catch outside to my pets for fear of pesticide/parasites. I've tried mealworms on occasion but most of those escape and burrow into the substrate and I worry about finding a beetle munching on my molting tarantulas. When I lived in Texas, I could go to pet stores and buy feeder roaches. I was in charge of my university's insectary so I even started my own American cockroach colony that I fed to our tarantulas, scorpions, and centipedes. But now I live in Florida, where all the space I have is in my apartment (where I'm not technically supposed to have tarantulas..SHHH!) and feeder roaches seem to be a big no-no. So what have you used to vary your pets' diets?
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

Feeder insects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeder insects?   Feeder insects? EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 am

I feed my crickets 2 weeks before they end up as dinner.
Differnt kind of insects is nice but not a must.
I catch grasshoppers and moths from outside.
Right know was the season of the easter hoppers, I have a full jar, they are great feeder insects to.
I don't use any kind of burrowing or flying bugs, I do use baby ants when flushing an antmount.
They are the best food for the realy tiny Slings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JaxTarantulas.com
SpiderMonk
SpiderMonk

Feeder insects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeder insects?   Feeder insects? EmptySat May 23, 2009 7:27 pm

anyone have any experience with superworms or mealworms. i don't what to feed my t stuff from outside due to chemicals playing a factor where I live.
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

Feeder insects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeder insects?   Feeder insects? EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:45 pm

I never tried worms, from what I know they are pretty rich in fats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JaxTarantulas.com
natebugman

Feeder insects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeder insects?   Feeder insects? EmptySat May 30, 2009 7:44 pm

I've tried both. They work fine if the tarantulas are really hungry and jump on them at once, but if not they burrow into the substrate and disappear. I had a rosehair that would even dig them up if they didn't get too deep, but that was before she decided to stop eating for months at a time. I had trouble with the superworms burrowing into the cork bark I had in my pinktoe cage. My main concern is what happens when the worm digs down, pupates, and comes up as a large hungry beetle at the same time your tarantula decides its molting time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeder insects? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeder insects?   Feeder insects? Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeder insects?
Page 1 of 1