Jax Tarantulas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeder Crickets Feeding/Keeping

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
venom666

Feeder   Crickets   Feeding/Keeping Empty
PostSubject: Feeder Crickets Feeding/Keeping   Feeder   Crickets   Feeding/Keeping EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 am

Do you keep many crickets that you feed to your pet Tarantulas? Even though I only have 1 Tarantula (Chilean Rose) at the moment, I tend to go to the pet store & get around 4-6 feeder med-large crickets & I keep them in a plastic food container that I punched little air holes all around in & I give them dried oatmeal cereal that I've sprinkled on the floor bottom of their container, a plastic jar I use for their water dish that I change everyday, & I give them a few small pieces of dried dog food, or even some tropical fish food flakes I even read you can offer the crickets. Is this a good diet for the crickets, or should I offer something better? I know also that some crickets can be offered sliced apples, raw potatoes, or even pieces of lettuce too I believe. I know there's some foods available at the pet stores in bottles to feed your crickets to help w/ their growth & Tarantula? And I rinse out/refill my Tarantula's water dish every other 2-3 days or whenever the water appears to be low & there's lots of floating substrate soil in the water. I rinse out the water dish w/ very hot boiling water, esp. rinsing off the stone I keep in the middle of the water dish so that my Tarantula will have something to walk on if he ever falls in, or esp. the crickets so they won't drown accidentally. Is it ok to just rinse out the water dish w/ hot boiling water, or should I be using a little soap too? Feeder   Crickets   Feeding/Keeping Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Feeder Crickets Feeding/Keeping   Feeder   Crickets   Feeding/Keeping EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 8:54 pm

I just wash it with warm water and thats it.
A good scource of cricket food is flukes gel and calcium powder. The crickets will be big and juicy for your T, also your T will appreciate the extra nutrition.
I buy a dozend for my T's that will keep them busy for about two weeks. It is always a good idea to feed your crickets before they end up as food.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JaxTarantulas.com
pb11501
pb11501

PostSubject: Re: Feeder Crickets Feeding/Keeping   Feeder   Crickets   Feeding/Keeping EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:58 am

No soap here. I order a thousand at a time and have found that the first hint of a cleaner can turn the place to jones town. Feeding is important and mine get left over vegies for treats...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeder Crickets Feeding/Keeping   Feeder   Crickets   Feeding/Keeping Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeder Crickets Feeding/Keeping
Page 1 of 1