Jax Tarantulas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jax Tarantulas

Jacksonville Tarantula Society

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Humidity/Temp for my Chilean Rose

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
venom666

Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose Empty
PostSubject: Humidity/Temp for my Chilean Rose   Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Sorry to be bothering u again about this re: the humidity issue I still seem to be having, esp. now w/ my Chilean Rose getting ready to molt soon (I'm still hoping/suspecting!) I turned up the heating lamp light above my T's tank screen cover earlier this morning, & the temp went up to 74, then when I last checked about an hr. ago, the temp was 76! That's not bad for a T who may be getting to molt. But, it seems like the humidity's still staying in the mid-to low 50% range. And I'm sure if I turn down the heating lamp light, the humidity will increase a little. It always seems to do that. I'm beginning to wonder that maybe since I keep my Tarantula downstairs in my basement bedroom, that maybe that's why I have problems keeping the humidity at an accurate level &/or the temps sometimes? Like during the daytime, we keep the temp in the basement in the low 50's & at night, I turn it up into the low 60's! My friend I live w/ won't allow me to turn up the heat anymore like close to 70 or so cause she's paying the heating bills & she's very anal about it too! You asked if there's a way I can partially cover the sides of my Tarantula's tank to hold the temp? Should I maybe go out & buy another small heating pad for a 2-5 gallon & place it on the outside glass? I already have a heating pad underneath the tank, so that probably wouldn't work & would roast my T! Or should I wrap more plastic saran wrap over the tank screen cover, or just add more of the Eco Earth substrate, since that did seem to help out a lot w/ the humidity going up & the temp too. Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose Icon_evil
Back to top Go down
pb11501
pb11501

PostSubject: Re: Humidity/Temp for my Chilean Rose   Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 9:03 am

Heating pads are better then a light as tarantulas do not like lites....They like darkness. A light will dry out a tank also where a heating pad will promote humidity if there is water present. Where are your humidity and temp gauges located?
Back to top Go down
Petra
Admin
Petra

PostSubject: Re: Humidity/Temp for my Chilean Rose   Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:57 am

I think it is a challenge to promote good hum. in a really cold place. Is there a way to move your T to a warmer room ?
If your are not able to move your T to a different room (maybe your friend is scared or you dont have the room), try to use a big tank or old closet with glasfronts as a "mini spider room".
In the end it will help you to solve a lot of issues.

Temp. sounds way better Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose Icon_cool
So, only prob is the hum. Is the light of your T the only light source in the basement ? Or is there a window where daylight comes in ?
T's do need some light as a way to regulate their biological clock, without it their internal clockwork is off. If you have another lightsource in there try switching completly to pads (try to place one on the side of the tank, thats what I did with my T's back in Austria in winter).

I don't like the pads very much, because it is always kinda tricky to control temp with it, I was always concerned that the tank is to hot, but your room is realy cold, you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JaxTarantulas.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Humidity/Temp for my Chilean Rose   Humidity/Temp   for   my  Chilean   Rose Empty

Back to top Go down

Humidity/Temp for my Chilean Rose
Page 1 of 1